Associate Estate Planning Attorney
We're searching for a talented, smart, hard-working and creative person to become the newest full-time associate attorney in our practice. Specifically, we need an outstanding person to meet with prospective clients, draft estate plans, help us generate new business, help manage our paralegal department, and help us grow the practice. In other words, we are looking for someone who is looking for a long-term home.
We're a law firm in Carlsbad exclusively practicing in the areas of Trusts & Estates, Estate Administration, Asset Protection, Business Planning, and Elder Law. We've grown significantly year after year for the past five years and expect this trend to continue. We're also different than your typical law firm. Everything we do is geared around best-in-class work product and service and is centered around educating our clients even before we meet them for the first time.
We are looking for an individual who is hard working, very good with people, has first rate verbal and written communications skills, and is happy and outgoing. Our "ideal" candidate needs to possess superior follow-up skills, have the ability to lead and manage a team, have an extremely high attention to detail, be very comfortable engaging potential clients in person and over the phone, and be very dependable.
If you are looking for a career or rather a “vocation” in Estate Planning where you can really make a difference in the lives of clients and grow long term with our team, we may be a good match with you. In a perfect world, our ideal candidate would also have experience in Estate Planning and/or Business Planning, management, sales, and marketing. But we understand that the person we find to be our perfect new associate may not have all of these in their background. That is ok, we are willing to train. We are mostly concerned with an overall fit with our firm’s culture and staff. We want someone who is an absolute “rock star” and is not afraid to roll up their sleeves and work hard. We are a fun team to work with but we do work hard to be the best at what we do technically and from a customer service standpoint.
Here's a more detailed description of what we need our new associate to do:
• Work closely under the direction of the CEO on new and existing client matters
• Meet with and counsel prospective estate and business planning clients
• Business development initiatives (i.e., client events, prospective client workshops, networking etc.)
• Follow up with prospective, new and existing clients
• Double check work generated by paralegals and law clerks
• Occasional speaking at events
• Supervision of office work flow in the paralegal department
• Promote the law firm to prospective clients and referral source partners
• Management of trust administration, probate and business formation matters
• Tracking calendar dates for all client matters in our firm’s client management software
• Meet with and maintain relationships with referral source partners you develop
• Attending CLEs periodically
• Draft estate, elder law and business entity plans
• Provide an exceptional client experience to anyone who comes in contact with the firm
Please DO NOT apply for this position if you are NOT:
• Great in your dealings with new people (establishing rapport)
• A smart self-starter
• Resourceful and a quick study
• Awesome at follow-up and organization
• A good writer/communicator/creative thinker
• Happy and outgoing
• Extremely dependable
• Eager to learn and grow
• A team player
• Able to handle constructive criticism
It's certainly a bonus if you have experience in Estate and/or Business Planning, management, sales, and marketing as well.
We DO NOT want people who:
• Don't care about their future (aka are just looking for a paycheck)
• Are nine to fiver clock watchers
• Lazy and “entitled”
• Can't take constructive feedback
• Are not team players
• Are complainers or drama queens
• Wallflowers with a lack of energy
• Don't want to grow
• Don’t care about people
• Don’t want to be a part of something greater than themselves
Now for more details on the position. We're looking to start our new associate full-time with a salary commiserate with their level of experience. After the first three month probationary period, to ensure we are a good fit, there are also monthly bonus opportunities tied to the monthly revenue generated on the cases you work on. Our benefits also begin after the first three months which include a healthcare stipend of $400/month towards our cafeteria plan of health insurance, dental and vision. Our benefits package also includes a gym membership and eligibility to join our 401K matching program after one year. We want to make sure that we are a perfect match and that you will be happy and we will be happy working together. Life is too short to spend your days working with people you don’t enjoy being around, so we are very careful who we let in through the gates.
The opportunity to earn way more than the base salary is there for the person who is driven and hard-working for sure. Really, you can make as much as you want to. You just need to have the drive to succeed and to learn and to let us coach you. We can help you further develop exceptional technical, professional and business development skills if you are dedicated and committed. Our team works M-F 8:00am to 5:00pm but there may be a need to work beyond those hours from time to time as this is a salaried position.
If you are eager to learn more, are creative, smart, good-natured and are always looking to challenge yourself in an interesting environment, well then our firm may be the right place for you.
How to apply:
Email your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com telling us why you are the perfect attorney for this position. In the subject line of your cover letter, put "Sounds like we’re a perfect match, I'd like to be considered for the new associate position". Please also include your salary history. This is the only way we wish to be communicated with. We will not respond to anyone that does not follow these instructions.
We KNOW this won't be the right job for everyone and some won't even bother to read to the end. That's OK. Every time we've run this type of recruitment ad and hired someone from it, it has been a GREAT fit for both parties.
Good luck! May the force be with you.